First Reconciliation & First Holy Communion
Page Last Updated 11/5/2019
First Reconciliation & First Holy Communion are normally held during a child's second grade year. Parents are always the primary catechists, or religious education teachers, for their children. Holy Family's preparation sessions exist to help parents prepare their children for the sacraments. By going to Mass every Sunday and on the Holy Days of Obligation, the parents teach their children the importance of worshiping God and of receiving Jesus in the Eucharist.
At Holy Family, First Reconciliation is held on a weeknight in early December each year. In addition to the child going to individual confession, the parents are also encouraged to go to individual confession at that time, to model that behavior for their children. If the parent cannot confess at that time for some reason, they are still encouraged to go to the priest to ask for a prayer or a blessing during the First Reconciliation Service. First Holy Communion is held on the last Sunday of April at the 10:30 a.m. Mass, unless that day happens to be Easter. When Easter is on the last Sunday in April, then First Communion is moved to the following Sunday.
"[E]ven when it is celebrated on the humble altar of a country church, the Eucharist is always in some way celebrated on the altar of the world. It unites heaven and earth. It embraces and permeates all creation."
- Pope Saint John Paul II, Ecclesia de Eucharistia
1st Holy Communion: 2020 1st Communion is April 26 at 10:30 am
Children are eligible to receive their first Holy Communion when they are baptized and at the age of reason. In this diocese, we typically reserve First Communion to second grade students with some exceptions. The children must have received instruction on the sacraments of communion and reconciliation and received their first reconciliation prior to their first communion. If your family cannot attend our first reconciliation service in December, please contact the Parish Office to make an appointment with Father John, or attend a first reconciliation service at another parish.
Parents are required
- To fill out the registration form available below and submit it the Parish Office or to the director by the due date.
- To schedule an appointment to meet with the director in October or November. Appointments can be during work days, evening, or weekends to accommodate your schedule.
- The appointment is a short meeting between the parents and the director. Your child's attendance is welcome but not required
- Director of Religious Education, Joseph H Munning IV can be contacted at [email protected] or 812-482-3076 ex 304.
- To attend the First Communion and First Communion Rehearsal.
- To attend the First Reconciliation and First Reconciliation Rehearsal, or make an appointment for First Reconciliation with Father John or another parish.
- To observe the proper attire for students. The dress code is available in the documents below.
This year we have two 1st Communion preparation sessions in March which are mandatory for a parent and child to attend prior to 1st Communion. All of the rehearsal and preparation sessions for 1st communion and 1st reconciliation require a parent with the child. Both parents are encouraged to come if possible. These are not classes, with workbooks and videos. Rather, they are structured to provide your child the tools to grow spiritually in the sacrament of the Eucharist with help and guidance from the whole family. If you have questions or concerns about any of this, please feel free to contact Joseph H Munning IV at [email protected] or 812-482-3076 ex 304. He will be happy to work with you to address your family's needs in preparation for the sacraments.
- Sacramental Preparation Schedule - Revised 10-18-19
- Sacramental Registration Form - Turn into Holy Family Parish Office or scan and email to the Director by the due date.
- First Communion Dress Code
- First Communion Live Stream Guide
- Photography Order Form - Professional photos are available for purchase by Visions Memory Studio. You are welcome to turn in order forms to the director at the preparation sessions.
Parent Meeting Sign-Up:
- November Sign Ups - Click to reserve a time. Please leave your names and email. You will receive a confirmation email within two business days confirming the time. Meetings will be held at Holy Family.
- October Sign Ups - Finished