First Reconciliation & First Holy Communion
Page Last Updated 1/27/2021
First Reconciliation & First Holy Communion are normally held during a child's second grade year. Parents are always the primary catechists, or religious education teachers, for their children. Holy Family's preparation sessions exist to help parents prepare their children for the sacraments. By going to Mass every Sunday and on the Holy Days of Obligation, the parents teach their children the importance of worshiping God and of receiving Jesus in the Eucharist.
At Holy Family, First Reconciliation is usually held in early December each year (Please note that this year we have moved First Reconciliation and the associated preparation for it to January). In addition to the child going to individual confession, the parents are also encouraged to go to individual confession at that time, to model that behavior for their children. If the parent cannot confess at that time for some reason, they are still encouraged to go to the priest to ask for a prayer or a blessing during the First Reconciliation Service. First Holy Communion is held on the last Sunday of April at the 10:30 a.m. Mass, unless that day happens to be Easter. When Easter is on the last Sunday in April, then First Communion is moved to the following Sunday.
"[E]ven when it is celebrated on the humble altar of a country church, the Eucharist is always in some way celebrated on the altar of the world. It unites heaven and earth. It embraces and permeates all creation."
- Pope Saint John Paul II, Ecclesia de Eucharistia
1st Holy Communion: 2021 1st Communion is April 25 at 10:30 am Mass
Children are eligible to receive their first Holy Communion when they are baptized and at the age of reason. In this diocese, we typically reserve First Communion to second grade students with some exceptions. The children must have received instruction on the sacraments of communion and reconciliation and received their first reconciliation prior to their first communion. If your family cannot attend our first reconciliation service in December, please contact the Parish Office to make an appointment with Father John, or attend a first reconciliation service at another parish.
Parents are required
- To fill out the registration form available below and submit it the Parish Office or to the director by the due date.
- To schedule an appointment to video conference with the director. Appointments can be during work days, evening, or weekends to accommodate your schedule.
- The appointment is a short meeting between the parents and the director. Your child's attendance is welcome but not required
- Director of Religious Education, Joseph H Munning IV can be contacted at [email protected] or 812-482-3076 ex 304.
- Appointments can be set up using the links below.
- To attend the First Communion Mass and First Communion Rehearsal.
- To attend the First Reconciliation and First Reconciliation preparation, or make an appointment for First Reconciliation with Father John or another parish.
- To observe the proper attire for students. The dress code is available in the documents below.
This year we have two 1st Communion preparation sessions in Spring which are mandatory for a parent and child to attend prior to 1st Communion. All of the rehearsal and preparation sessions for 1st communion and 1st reconciliation require a parent with the child. Both parents are encouraged to come if possible. These are not classes, with workbooks and videos. Rather, they are structured to provide your child the tools to grow spiritually in the sacrament of the Eucharist with help and guidance from the whole family. If you have questions or concerns about any of this, please feel free to contact Joseph H Munning IV at [email protected] or 812-482-3076 ex 304. He will be happy to work with you to address your family's needs in preparation for the sacraments.
COVID Contingency Plan:
- Preparation sessions, rehearsals, First Communion, and First Reconciliation, taking place in any venue such as the Church or Fellowship Hall will accommodate social distancing between families. These spaces will be sanitized before and after families arrive.
- If COVID restrictions make in person First Communion preparation impossible or unfeasible, families will have the opportunity to sign up for one of several small group video conferences offered throughout the Spring. Each video conference will accommodate a handful of families in preparing for First Communion in a prayerful and welcoming environment.
- If the First Communion class this year is large we will offer two sessions to prepare for First Reconciliation with one group on one day and the other group on the second day.
- If COVID restrictions prevent the First Communion class from celebrating their First Communion at the 10:30 am Mass on April 25th, a later Mass will be held the same day at 12:30 pm for only the First Communion families.
1st Reconciliation Preparation Sign-Ups
- Sign Up Here
- Sacramental Preparation Schedule - (2 pages) Updated 11-17-20
- Sacramental Registration Form - Turn into Holy Family Parish Office or scan and email to the Director by the due date.
- First Communion Dress Code
- First Communion Live Stream Guide
- Photography Order Form - Professional photos are available for purchase by Yourstory Photography. (Updated 4/6/2021)
Parent Meeting Sign-Up:
- Please contact the director to schedule a meeting